Keeping Pets Safe: Creating A Pet Safety Kit
We know that your pet’s safety and well-being is important to you. Most of us pride ourselves in providing for our pet’s physical and emotional needs, but many of us fall short when it comes to planning for the unexpected, including being prepared for our pet’s safety during an emergency situation.
Having a pet safety kit on hand – and knowing how to use it – is an essential part of emergency preparedness for any pet owner. Check out our tips for creating your own portable, low-cost kit.
Grab N’ Go
A good pet safety kit should be easy to carry and is important, so be sure to bring with you wherever you go. Select a large, sturdy case with a handle and find an easily accessible spot in your home to store it. The kit should be easy for you to locate and grab quickly before you get into the car with your pet or in the event of an emergency.
Pet Safety Kit Essentials
The following items are must-haves for any pet emergency:
- Important numbers – Include Soundside Animal Hospital’s number in the safety kit, as well as information about the Veterinary Emergency Referral Center, where we refer patients needing immediate care during the night and on weekends. These numbers should also be programmed into your phone.
- Pet supplies – A copy of your pet’s medical records, extra medications he or she is taking, an extra leash and collar, and a muzzle (even the friendliest pet can become aggressive when injured or frightened).
- Other items – Additional items you will want to keep near the kit are extra dry pet food (packed into sealed plastic bags), bottles of drinking water, and a clean towel.
First Aid Supplies
Make sure to include the following basic first aid supplies in your pet safety kit:
- Absorbent gauze pads or a 2-inch wide gauze roll
- Hypoallergenic adhesive tape
- Elastic cling bandage
- Cotton balls
- Blunt scissors
- Antibiotic ointment
- Antiseptic towelettes
- Styptic powder
- Instant cold pack
- A Compact emergency blanket
Download and print out information from the American Red Cross website that suggests what to do in the case of a pet emergency and keep them in your kit. Make sure to add their Pet First Aid App to your phone for step-by-step instructions and videos.
Peace Of Mind
Our pets are important members of our family. Being able to provide for their safety and comfort during an unexpected event, whether at home or on the road, is an essential component of responsible pet ownership. Please let the staff at Soundside know if you have any questions or concerns about your pet.